The emission reductions you purchase flow into myclimate climate protection projects in developing and emerging countries. The projects meet the highest standards and contribute to the sustainable development goals of the United Nations. By doing so, in addition to helping to save on greenhouse gas emissions, this also promotes social, environmental and economic development in the region.
About the international project
Half of your emissions will be offset in myclimate climate protection projects in Switzerland, half in developing and emerging markets. Greenhouse gases in Switzerland are reduced, for example, through programmes that support the restoration of marshlands, electric and hybrid buses, and electrically-powered delivery bicycles for the transport of goods in cities.
Driving that is better for the climate and environmentally friendly – a contradiction?
Today mobility has to meet numerous requirements – both the individual need for transportation and the need for economical and environmentally friendly transport. Motor vehicles are proving to be more efficient in fuel economy and more economical in greenhouse gas emissions. But even the most environmentally friendly motor vehicle is not (yet) entirely without emissions. That is why we believe a green option for motor vehicle insurance makes sense. As a second best solution to balance unavoidable climate impact, having a reliable partner is better than doing nothing.
Why is Helvetia committed to sustainable mobility?
For insurance, climate protection is part of our core business. Helvetia systematically reduces its carbon footprint with its environmental strategy and supports the development towards sustainable mobility – for its own business, too. Necessary business trips have been fully compensated for since 2017.
How does CO2 compensation work?
Your motor vehicle/fleet releases a certain amount of CO2. Depending on the amount of your compensation contribution, you can save the same amount or part of it elsewhere. This is where our cooperation partner myclimate comes into play. It uses its CO2 compensation contribution in climate protection projects that meet the highest standards and demonstrably avoid harmful greenhouse gases or permanently withdraw them from the atmosphere.
How is your contribution to climate protection calculated?
The polluting emissions are calculated on the basis of a little information on the type of vehicle, the type of fuel and fuel consumption. The amount of your contribution will be determined based on either the mileage of your car you have specified or the fuel consumption for your fleet. You can then easily pay by invoice, credit card, PayPal or Twint.
What is compensated?
The climate protection contribution compensates for harmful greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4) or nitrous oxide (N2O) and other gases. By doing so, on the one hand you compensate for the direct emissions resulting from the combustion of the fuel. On the other hand, greenhouse gases for vehicle production, road infrastructure and for the extraction, transport and processing of crude oil are taken into account.
Who is myclimate?
The Swiss climate protection foundation myclimate is a proven partner for effective voluntary climate protection – locally and globally. By the end of 2018 the foundation was able to mobilise CHF 110 million worldwide for climate protection projects, reducing 6.24 million tonnes of CO2 emissions. The patronage committee of the foundation includes former Federal Councillor Doris Leuthard, the initiator, pilot and president of Solar Impulse, Bertrand Piccard and the ETH professor and co-author of the climate report, Reto Knutti.
Can I be sure that my compensation contribution is actually invested?
Yes. After the compensation has been paid, you will receive confirmation from myclimate confirming the climate compensation. The charitable foundation invests at least 80 percent of its compensation contribution in certified climate protection projects. myclimate requires the remaining 20 percent to cover administrative and foundation-internal costs, e.g. the salaries of employees and their office space.
Can I deduct my compensation contribution from tax?
myclimate is a non-profit organisation. Your compensation payments can, therefore, be deducted from taxes in all cantons. You can download the ordinances of the individual cantons from myclimate's website and enclose your donation receipt or with a proof of payment (copy of payment slip or account statement) with your tax return.