A boat insurance policy protects you as a boat owner against the financial consequences in the event of loss or damage – be that in the case of theft, a fire, a collision or personal injury. In Switzerland, liability insurance is compulsory for the majority of boat owners. In addition to liability insurance, a partially comprehensive or fully comprehensive policy also covers damage to your own boat. Further supplementary cover options protect you against specific claims by third parties, for example by towed water skiers.
Watercraft liability insurance covers losses, injury or damage which you cause to other persons, property or animals with your boat. Liability insurance also protects you against unjustified compensation claims. Persons on board for whom the owner is responsible according to the Navigation Act are also covered.
Partially comprehensive insurance covers damage to your watercraft which you have not caused yourself. The following risks are insured:
• Fire and loss or damage resulting from fire-fighting operations
• Natural forces such as landslides, hail, high water, avalanche, snow pressure, storms, flooding
• Snow slides, for example as a result of snow falling from roofs
• Actual and attempted robbery and theft
• Glass breakage
• Malicious damage by third parties (excluding scratches and scrapes)
• Personal items such as fishing gear, dinghies, etc. up to a value of CHF 5'000.
Fully comprehensive insurance covers damage to your boat which you have caused yourself. It also includes all the benefits covered by partially comprehensive insurance. Fully comprehensive insurance is especially recommended for new boats and yachts.
• In the event of a total loss within the first five years, Helvetia will pay the agreed sum insured.
• In the event of a total loss after five years, Helvetia will cover the current value at the time.
• Repair of wrecked boats
• Replacement of stolen boats
• Towing and transportation to the nearest shipyard
• The costs of removing the wreck
• Salvage costs up to CHF 2'000
• Foreign customs duty if the watercraft can no longer be transported to Switzerland
• Hotel, telephone and travel expenses up to CHF 500
Accident insurance protects drivers and passengers against the financial consequences of accident-related injuries and damage to property. Dogs and cats travelling with them are also covered. The benefits include in particular:
• Medical treatment costs
• Daily allowance in the event of incapacity to work, for up to five years after the accident
• Hospital benefit
• Lump-sum disability benefit
• Lump-sum death benefit
• Rooming-in for parents of a child involved in an accident, up to CHF 10'000
At Helvetia you also have the option to protect yourself against claims by water skiers towed by you. Personal effects and loose accessories can also be insured. These include, for example, outboard motors, fishing and sports gear, trailers for transporting the boat, dingies and buoys.