I am interested in
The “Search” function is not available at the moment, please try again later.
Please get in contact with us. To contact form
  • All ready to travel by car

    15.06.2021 | Sandra Biraghi
    It will soon be upon us: summer holiday time. Are you planning to travel by car this summer? And even if you're able to drive off spontaneously and independently, you need to take care of a few things. Here you'll find some useful information for a carefree trip.

All ready to travel by car

15.06.2021 | Sandra Biraghi
It will soon be upon us: summer holiday time. Are you planning to travel by car this summer? And even if you're able to drive off spontaneously and independently, you need to take care of a few things. Here you'll find some useful information for a carefree trip.

Holidays by car begin as soon as you start up the engine. Is that also part of your childhood memories? To ensure that it is, and that you enjoy as stress-free a trip as possible, you should make the necessary preparations before leaving.

Check the vehicle

  • Check the condition of your vehicle before leaving:
  • Tyres: tread depth, signs of wear, air pressure
  • Do the lights work?
  • Oil, brake fluid and coolant levels
  • Windscreen wipers: windscreen washer fluid level and clean wiper blades

Your vehicle should also have the standard equipment, consisting of a first aid kit, warning triangle and at least one high-visibility jacket per person. Secure your luggage before you go and find out about filling stations, charging stations – if needed – and rest areas along your planned route. And remember: every passenger has his or her needs. Be considerate. For trips with children there are plenty of tips online, for instance at Swissmom.ch or TCS.

Travel recommendations and rules

The risk of infection with coronavirus exists almost everywhere worldwide. Before leaving the country, find out about the current travel recommendations of the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH), the entry regulations of your destination country and other countries if you will be transiting them. Regulations can change at any time. Important: You should not only find out about the requirements for entering your destination country but also for returning to Switzerland. Please also check which information your travel insurance is issuing with regard to the coronavirus. You can find questions and answers about travel insurance in the FAQs at Helvetia.

Travelling abroad

CH stickers are mandatory on all motor vehicles being driven abroad. It is generally known that the United Kingdom and Ireland drive on the left. But did you know that you have to have a fire extinguisher in your car in Poland, for example, and a tow rope when driving through Serbia? Different countries – different laws: that applies both to speed limits on motorways and to alcohol limits or mandatory lights. Therefore, it is worth finding out about the guidelines on driving in countries you will pass through. TCS has put together an overview of the main rules in European countries (in German).

Several European cities and municipalities also require eco stickers. If you drive without these stickers, you may be fined. Different countries have different regulations governing emissions stickers and environmental zones. The stickers can mostly be ordered online or purchased at the last minute at filling stations.

Documents and insurance

If you are travelling by car in Switzerland, you must have your driving licence and vehicle registration document with you. When driving outside Switzerland, you should have the following documents with you:


Keep the emergency number of your insurer and the relevant policy numbers handy. Make back-up copies of your important documents and take these – separately from the originals – along on your trip.

Car insurance: valid worldwide

Your vehicle does not need any additional insurance for trips outside Switzerland: as a rule, your car insurance is also valid in the rest of Europe as well as in non-European Mediterranean countries and Mediterranean island states. Assistance insurance for motor vehicles is also valid outside Switzerland.

But be careful: your Helvetia car insurance is not valid in Russia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan or Iran. In Kosovo, insurance does not cover liability.

It is advisable to note down the insurance cover’s emergency number and the relevant policy numbers and take them with you on your trip.

International Motor Insurance Card – Green Card

The International Insurance Card («Green Card») proves that a vehicle is covered by third party insurance. There is no need for an International Insurance Card when entering countries with an agreement on registration plates (shaded light green in the following graphic). It is necessary to carry an International Insurance Card in other countries (shaded dark green).

Source: Swiss National Bureau of Insurance

The International Insurance Card can be requested directly from the insurer. If countries are excluded from the cover, the related abbreviations are crossed out. Also check the Card’s period of validity before starting your trip.

Travelling in a third-party vehicle

If you travel in a car that is not registered to you, you should check whether it would be wise to have an add-on for driving third-party vehicles under your personal liability insurance. Also note that, when crossing a border, you need authorization to use the vehicle. A statement of authorization signed by the owner of the vehicle will suffice.

But be careful: if the vehicle is registered abroad, it may not generally be driven by anyone who lives in Switzerland. Otherwise, it is regarded as imported, requiring duty and tax to be paid on it.

Whether holidaying in Switzerland or beyond: with the right preparations and our tips, you will be travelling without a care in the world.

We are there for you.

Arrange an appointment
Book online now
Book your consultation now
Use current location